11.11.2008

TTC - 3

I find these teachings valuable, and hope others might also be moved to share from time to time. These teachings have helped me greatly in the past, and I hope to continue growing in these ways.

For now these initial posts will include the full chapter being referred to, from the Tao Teh Ching. After a while, out of respect for Master Ni's work, I will simply make a reference to the chapter with a few pertinent excerpts in the discussion.

I'd like to offer Chapter Three of the Tao Teh Ching, again using Master Ni, Hua-Ching's translation and publication of Lao Tzu's classic:

-----------------------------

When the superior are not exalted,
envy will not be aroused.
Then there will be no rivalry or contention among people.
When wealth is not treasured,
desire for possessions will not be stirred up.
Then people will not be tempted to rob one another.
By shutting that which is desirable out of sight,
the heart will remain undisturbed.
Then there will be no confusion in the hearts of people.

The guidance of the Universal One of natural wholeness is therefore:
Empty your mind.
Enjoy good health.
Weaken your ambitions.
Strengthen your essence.

When people are free from cunning, desire, and artifice,
everything will be well-ordered of its own accord.


-----------------------------

One comment I'd like to offer, based on related teachings I learned as a student of t'ai chi and zen-like ancient taoism, is that the process of shutting out, or of weakening ambition, should not be harshly imposed. It is more like the image of Lao Tzu riding the water buffalo, riding the bull, or a lady riding a tiger. When balance is introduced into one's life, so that the mind respects the body, the body respects the mind, and both respect the spirit, then one might be able to gain the support of the mind and body in following natural ways and avoiding artificial luxuries without artifically harsh strictures and punishments. Have you ever ridden an animal, maybe a horse? By gaining the animal's respect and trust, you gain its support and it better responds to your guidance. This approach teaches us how to work with the "animal spirits" of our own selves too.

A silly small example for me, it's a little persistent thing, but relates to trading - it's too easy for me to get glued to the computer and watch every little thing. Took me a while to figure out that having a day job that forces me away from it is actually a good thing, because it forces me away from the very artificial exercise of focusing on little things to an extreme. By letting go and being literally as well as figuratively more detached from the screens, I now tend to make better trading decisions. Each little squiggle isn't as overly (artificially) dramatic as they used to be. Can't say I've become a master trader yet by any means but I've become a happier one.

Anyone else care to share their comments on this or the other chapters yet? I will continue to post, and there are 81 chapters, so we can enjoy many insights along the way.

Best to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment